Wednesday, July 12, 2006

All Star Game musings

Meant to post this sooner, but here are some thoughts I had on last night's game:

  • How does one city go from having Meatloaf sing the National Anthem at an All-Star Game to Carrie Underwood just 12 years later? I was only 9 when I was at the last game and I still remember the Loaf's anthem.
  • The huge ovations for Freddy and Jay Bay were awesome to see during introductions. It obviously meant a ton to them to be there for this and they deserve it.
  • Somehow the Pirate fans at the game got the memo that A-Rod and Jeter are supposed to be booed, but they missed the one about Tracy deserving the same treatment. For shame.
  • I still enjoy looking out my window and seeing the Goodyear blimp circling the city.
  • All of the Roberto tributes were great, from Ozzie Guilllen's "Chasing 3000" shirt, to the RCW sweatbands, to the award ceremony. One small complaint, I wish they had Lanny or Greg Brown MC the ceremony instead of Selig. They both take a lot of crap online, but a hometown feel would've made the award presentation that much better, I think (especially if they'd chosen Greg Brown, who grew up as a Pirate fan in Pittsburgh during the Clemente era). Selig stumbling over his words and saying "a relief mission to Nicawagwa" was just painful to watch. Still, if they don't retire #21 leaguewide (and despite all of my biases, I'm not really convinced that they should... which is a different topic) I thought last night was a fitting tribute to a great man.
  • Given the immense pressure on them last night, I thought Bay and Freddy preformed pretty well. Freddy sparkled with the glove at short and second and Bay managed to get a hit on a night where they were pretty rare (for an All-Star Game).
  • As for the game itself, well, it was pretty boring. I think Brad Penny probably liquified his elbow in the first two innings, and (though this joke has been made a million times today) who was surprised to see the NL blow a late lead to eventually lose by 1 run as the home team at PNC?