Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The most surprising thing...

So the Pirates are 6-6. They're actually probably like 5-0 in games where the gametime temperature is above, say, 50 degrees (I've done no research on that topic). So yeah, despite all of my bitching and moaning to this point in the year, they've done pretty much all anybody has wanted them to do this year, which is hover around .500 and make things interesting. I am not particularly optimistic about their chances of keeping it up, but that's not what this is about.

So what's been positive to this part of the season? Ian Snell, certainly. I thought he'd be better this year, but he's been lights out to this point in the year. Tom Gorzelanny, too. I was certainly concerned by his rocky spring (maybe not as much as some people, I was more worried about injury than anything), but clearly there was nothing to worry about because he's been almost as good as Snell to this point. But most surprising thus far? Chris Duffy's patience at the plate. In 2005 he drew 7 walks in 136 PAs. In 2006 he drew 19 in 348. This year? He's already walked six times in 53 PAs. I know it's a small sample size, but everything's gotta start somewhere. Now, Duff, about that .239 batting average...