Sunday, February 04, 2007

More signings

So it's Super Bowl Sunday and I have to assume that the furthest thing from your minds are Freddy Sanchez and Dan Kolb. But they shouldn't be. That's because the Pirates signed both of them yesterday. The Sanchez thing wasn't unexpected as his arbitration case was set for Tuesday and neither side wanted things to go that far. They only signed him for one year, which I think is a good thing because as much as I like the guy, he's had one good year and there's no need to give him a Jack Wilson contract when he's got two arbitration years after this one. Kolb, on the other hand, is another "eh" deal. I mean, I could see how he could be useful in the pen and I could see how he'd be a disaster, but he's signed to a minor league contract that only pays him a little over a million if he makes the team and let's him declare himself a free agent if he doesn't, so there's not really much to talk about here except to say "I hope he's a lot more like the 2004 Danny Kolb than he has been lately.