Sunday, October 09, 2005

More playoff thoughts

The Cards finished off the Padres last night, making them the second entry into the LCS sweepstakes. As much as I would've like to see the underdog win, it just wasn't going to happen. The Cards impressively steamrolled San Diego, just like they should have, to send a message to the winner of the Astros/Braves series that they're still the top dogs in the NL. The Astros and Braves appeared headed for five games after Houston's 7-1 win last night and Atlanta's 5-1 lead this afternoon (in the 6th). I'm still pulling for the Astros, if only because an all NL Central NLCS will soften the blow of being the only sixth place team in all of baseball. I don't know who's lined up for a Game 5, but I'd assume it would have to be Smoltz for the Braves (on three days rest). And that doesn't bode well for the Astros (though I suppose they'll throw Pettite, which doesn't bode well for the Braves). The Angels will also try to finish off the Yankees tonight after yesterday's rain out, giving America everything that they wanted out of these playoffs, an ALCS without the Red Sox OR the Yankees. Both Washburn and Chacon will keep their starts. Washburn's made some big starts in the past and I'm not sure how Chacon will adjust to the big city pressure in a must-win playoff game after a career in Colorado. I think this one ends tonight.