Monday, October 09, 2006

Who to root for in the LCS

Now is not a fun time to be a Pittsburgh sports fan. The Pirates are done, the Steelers are raising blood pressures to unsafe levels, and it's still too early to know what to expect out of the Pens. But since the League Championship Series' are beginning, we can always pick a team or two and cheer them on. Here's how I'm breaking the remaining four teams down, in terms of palpability.

  1. Detroit Tigers- We're free to cheer for Sean Casey just for being a nice guy from Pittsburgh now that he's off the team. He had a great Division Series against the Yankees and seems to be peaking after a bunch of injuries this year. Their coaching staff also includes Leyland, McClendon, Sluggo, and the namesake of this blog. Throw in the fact that just three years ago these guys were worse than the Pirates and have pulled themselves out of things, well, you can consider me a Tigers fan this week.
  2. Oakland A's- The ALCS is great for Pirate fans. Oakland is a close second behind the Tigers when it comes to things to root for. Jason Kendall was always one of my favorite players when he was a Pirate (I had some issues with him last summer, but that doesn't change the fact that I liked him when he was here) and Ken Macha is a Monroeville native and was many fan's top choice to be the next Bucs manager instead of Tracy. There's no shame in rooting for the A's this week either.
  3. New York Mets- I can't believe the Mets are only #3 on this list, but any team that gives me the hope of seeing Oliver Perez start an NLCS game can't be all bad. Plus they're not...
  4. St. Louis Cardinals- I dislike the Cardinals. A lot. LaRussa pisses me off. Pujols haunts my dreams during the regular season. I really don't have anything against Cardinal fans, they all seem like nice people, but man do I hate the players on this team from Pujols to Spezio's stupid beard to migedty little Eckstein.
LCS predictions (which are admittedly probably useless, but we'll do it for fun anyways) tomorrow. Who's everyone else rooting for?