Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Indecision

First I was going to write about ESPN's updated Misery Index, and what an outrage it is that a team like the Astros that's been to the playoffs 7 times since '97 (with a World Series appearence, Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, and Roger Clemens to boot) can somehow be construed as more miserable than the Pittsburgh Pirates. I was also going to write about how I took offense to the comment they made that the reason for our misery was the choice of Van Slyke over Bonds, how no one could've seen Van Slyke's career ending with the injury that it did, how he sparked those early 90s teams with the way he played and his attitude towards life, how Bonds would have never played here even if we payed him what he wanted. But I didn't feel like it was enough for a full post, so I moved on.

Next up was going to be Bruce Sutter, not that he didn't deserve to be in the Hall (I think to some extent closers do get a bad rap, but then again I hope Lee Smith never gets near the Hall so who really knows) but that while people were crediting him for making the splitter a popular pitch, he probably would've never been throwing a splitter if it hadn't been for Roy Face and his forkball. I was going to keep going about how unfair it is that a guy like Face gets ignored when it comes to Hall of Fame voting, mostly because he was a closer before there were closers. Then I decided that it's an argument that's been made before and that most people probably don't want to hear me compare split finger pitches thrown by two retired relievers, so I moved on again.

I then remembered today was Wednesday, meaning a new Q&A would be up. I read it, didn't find anything particularly interesting, and decided that Charlie's post about it was generally about how I felt, that Dejan's (and the Pirates) continued harping on strikeouts and batting average can get pretty old at times.

Looks like this school stuff has sapped my motivation.