Thursday, December 22, 2005

Lawton's story

Today Matt Lawton tells his side of his positive steroid test. According to him, he was playing so poorly and in so much pain at the end of the year that:

I just wasn't physically able to do the job. I had never been in the playoff hunt before. So I did something that will always haunt me.
He also says he injected shortly before his failed test, which means that if he is to be believed than he wasn't on steroids while in the 'Burgh. Unlike other players that have failed tests, he's actually admitted to using, which I suppose may make his story a bit more believable. Of course, he's still out of work, which means that he had to say SOMEthing, and I do suppose a team is more likely to sign a guy who said he made a once in a lifetime mistake rather than a guy who admits he's a 'roid junkie. Still, I am impressed he actually admitted to using the steroid. At his age with the way he played last year, he could be ending his career by doing so, so whether it's the whole truth or not, it still takes some measure of balls to say what he said today.