Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Casey close to coming home

The PG reports that the Pirates are close to finishing up a deal that would send Dave Williams to Cincinnati for Sean Casey. I said earlier that Casey is making way more than he's worth and I do still feel that way but I suppose if you take money out of the equation (which is hard to do for the Pirates) it's not a bad trade. Casey's numbers may be down a bit from where they were but he's also going to give Jason Bay a lot more protection than anyone we had last year. It also puts Brad Eldred on direct notice that if he's not going to start putting the bat on the ball he's not going to play in Pittsburgh. Plus, he's not JT Snow, which is absolutely fantastic. I guess the bottom line is that this is a trade that could work out fairly well for the Pirates, despite the large amount of money involved. I'll probably have more about this later when it all gets finalized.