Monday, October 20, 2008

Respeck

I'm all for Jayson Stark's "Five reasons to embrace the World Series" article up at ESPN.com. Honestly, I'm way more stoked for the Phillies and Rays then I would've been for the Dodgers and Red Sox. These are two good, likable (or, as likable as a Philly team can be ... gotta throw that in there to keep my Pittsburgh Card) baseball teams that should play a good World Series. But there's one part of his story that I'm not down with:

This is the Phillies' 126th season on Earth. They've won one World Series. That's one fewer than the Cubs have won. That's three fewer than that team across the state, the Pirates, have won. Sheez, that's even one fewer than the Marlins and Blue Jays have won.
Now, I know that not everyone can have encyclodpedic knowledge of Pittsbugh Pirate history and I know it's an editor's job to check the facts on Stark's column, but say it with me now, everyone: 1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979. That's five World Series rings, four more than the one the Phillies have. Sweet Jesus, the present is bad enough without people short-changing the past, too.