Since I paid the money for an Extra Innings package this year and the Pirates played a day game, I figured I'd check out Jason Bay's debut at Fenway tonight. Some of the highlights:
- Judging by his pre-game interview, Bay is absolutely stoked by the trade.
- Before his first at-bat, he got a huge standing ovation that lasted so long, he had to step out of the box until it ended.
- During said first at-bat, he looked so terrified that his bat wasn't going to leave his shoulder for anything. He walked and later scored.
- He made a couple of nice catches in the field, including one sliding catch.
- Against Brad Ziegler, he struck out in a very ugly fashion on a low and away slider. This terrified a Sox fan friend of mine that came over to see the game. I told him not to be alarmed, because that's going to happen from time to time.
- I left to meet some friends for a birthday before the game ended, but somehow getting a text message that said, "Bay tripled and scored the winning run," sort of made my night.