Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Spring stats and stuff

As you've probably noticed, I don't spend a ton of time on numbers from spring training unless they're something that really jumps out at me (good or bad). It's mostly just because you can't tell much from them. Remember last spring when Sean Burnett was practically unhittable and Tom Gorzelanny was awful and people were clamoring for Burnett to start the year in Pittsburgh? Yeah, that actually happened. Still, right around this time, things start to jump out at me. So here's what I've recently noticed that I think is worthwhile:

  • Holy crap, Freddy Sanchez is just taking the field tonight? I've said it before, but his health really does concern me. He's only played one year since he's come to Pittsburgh in which injuries haven't been any concern at all. He is hitting well as DH this spring, so I suppose this is nothing to panic over ... yet.
  • If the calendar never moved past March 30th, Sean Burnett might have finally righted his career. He was awesome in camp last year and he's been awesome again this year, with a 1.13 ERA and 6 strikeouts in 6 innings. I'm not really convinced he should make the 'pen because I don't know who he's been striking out and his AAA numbers have been awful the past two years, but it's nice to know that moving to the pen might not be completely fruitless. I again want to re-iterate that this is the move to make with Van Benschoten, who I think has a little more life in his arm that Burnett and might actually make a good reliever instead of just a passable one.
  • I seriously hope that Zach Duke can get things turned around this year and even though his past couple starts have been pretty promising, 4 strikeouts in 14 innings is not going a long way towards convincing me. Even Kuwata's got 3 K's in 5 innings this spring.
  • If you guys think I've been worked up over the Steve Pearce thing, just wait and see what happens if Nyjer Morgan's the Opening Day centerfielder. McLouth was slugging .636 BEFORE he homered tonight. Making Morgan the starter would more or less invalidate every statement made before the season about this being a "competition" because McLouth is running laps around Morgan right now.
That's all I got for now.