Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Is Greg Smith going to be any good?

Prompted by the article in the PG today (your understanding of this post will be enhanced if you read that article first), here's a list of players that Greg Smith drafted in Detroit that reached the major leagues (all from BBREF):

1997: Matt Anderson (1st overall), Shane Loux (2nd round)
1998: Jeff Weaver (1), Nate Cornejo (1), Brandon Inge (2), Adam Pettyjohn (2), Andres Torres (4)
1999: Eric Munson (1), Cody Ross (4), Eric Eckenstahler (32), Jason Frasor (33)
2000: Nook Logan (3), Mark Woodyard (4)
2001: Jack Hannahan (3), Mike Rabelo (4), Ryan Rayburn (5), Don Kelly (8)
2002: Scott Moore (1), Brent Clevlen (2), Curtis Granderson (3), Joel Zumaya (11)
2003: Tony Giarratano (3), Virgil Vazquez (7), Brian Rogers (11), Jordan Tata (16)
2004: Justin Verlander (1st overall)

Obviously Verlander and Granderson are awesome, but beyond them it's a really spotty list (there may be a couple prospects from 2003 or 2004, but I don't recognize any names). He also only drafted one player in the middle/late rounds that's had any sort of big league career- the incredibly injury prone Zumaya (who will probably be a great reliever but is still just a reliever). I want to say "at least his drafts were better than what Creech stuck us with," but depending on how Walker, McCutchen, Pearce, Lincoln, and Moskos pan out to compliment Capps, Maholm, Gorzelanny, I can't even make that statement with a ton of confidence.

Don't get me wrong- when Greg Smith lays out his plan in the paper it sounds plenty good to me. I want to believe the assertion in that article that Randy Smith screwed up his drafts. I want to believe that his double duty as director of player development from 2000-2002 made him draft poorly (though we'd have to throw Granderson and Zumaya out of consideration, in fairness to all of the failed picks from those years). I mean, I wrote a post praising Bob Nutting in the past week, I'm not one to deny someone a second chance. Still, Ed Creech has left me just a bit wary when it comes to trusting scouting directors with spotty track records. Before Creech failed here, he screwed things up in Montreal, St. Louis, and Los Angeles. Everything Smith says sounds good, but if he can't tell Matt Anderson from JD Drew or Troy Glaus (who were picked 2 and 3 after Smith picked Anderson in 1997), none of the talk will matter. I'll give him a chance because he's not Creech and because I have no choice, but my hopes are not up with him running the scouting department.