Friday, August 10, 2007

Ohh, Matt Morris

You know, I often think of how ludicrous being a sports fan can be. I have irrational hate for people that are probably nice guys and it's all because they had the unfortunate luck to be acquired by Dave Littlefield for reasons that I don't happen to agree with. Jeromy Burnitz, Daniel Moskos, and now Matt Morris. I kind of feel sorry for these guys. I won't lie.

So anyways, Matt Morris is kind of pissing me off right now and I'm pretty sure it has everything to do with me just wanting to be pissed off by Matt Morris. He's now afraid of retribution from the Giants because he said he was happy to go to Pittsburgh because of our awesome defense. From the PG:

Morris has been made aware of some Giants being unhappy with comments he made to the Pittsburgh media the day of the trade, in which he said he was looking forward to "getting some better defense" with the Pirates and playing with "some young guys who are looking to play hard."

He said he felt the matter was being exaggerated.

"There's been some controversy with me, apparently, and I never wanted that to happen," Morris said. "I don't even know what was said, and I think they really blew it up into something that it's not. Now, I've got guys over there mad at me."

This is the problem with defensive stats and sweeping generalizations. The Pirates have a great team fielding percentage and have made very few errors. This doesn't account for the fact that the catchers haven't thrown a runner out on the bases since the Fourth of July, the outfielders all have noodles for arms and most of them track down fly balls like a six year-old being chased by a bee, and no one in the infield has any range except Jack Wilson (when he wants to have it). Defensive stats suck. They will lie to you. Then there's the other problem. The Pirates are a young team, ergo, they must play hard. This isn't how things work in reality. In reality, they're a mostly mentally defeated group of players that have given up on baseball in 2007 and are really, really looking forward to October 1st.

So you see, if Matt Morris had done some thinking, rather than just relying on the norms, he wouldn't have his foot in his mouth right now. Somehow, I don't think Matt and I are going to get along very well.