Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Game 83: Pirates 6 Brewers 2

I don't like to say that the Pirates won this one as much as the Brewers completely lost it. If I didn't know better (hell, I don't know better), I would think today's game was fixed. They dropped every fly ball, misplayed everything hit at them, I don't even know how to describe how ugly it was. They looked like the '62 Mets rather than the best team in the NL. I was embarrassed for them. The best thing that happened during the whole game for them was Prince Fielder hit a pop-up and assaulted a Gatorade cooler.

Meanwhile for the Pirates, Shane Youman did what he normally does, which is not strike people out, but not give up many hits or many runs either. He got his first big-league win today, so congrats to him on that one. I will never, ever call him "Sugar Shane" Youman ever in my life, though. I hate Greg Brown. If that nickname catches on, I dunno, I'll light myself on fire or something.

The offensive stars in this one for us were Bill Hall, Kevin Mench, and Corey Hart, who excelled in turning flyouts into doubles and doubles into triples all day long. We couldn't have won the game without them today.