Sunday, July 29, 2007

Game 102: Phillies 10 Pirates 5

I fully grasp the fact that Masumi Kuwata was a starting pitcher in Japan. I know he was good and that he used to pitch a lot of innings over there. I mean, I'm fully aware of all of this. And I still don't think that he's any more than a gimmick one out type reliever. Would I put Kuwata in the mound with the game on the line? Sure, if I needed one out and there was a big swinging righty up that hadn't seen his array of pitches (slow ball, super slow ball, super-duper slow ball, and a slow curve) before, I'd have no problem putting him up there to face that one hitter. Putting him on the mound and asking him to work through the scorching hot Phillies lineup with no outs, a one run lead, and bases loaded? Suicide.

I know Chacon and Torres are supposed to be the set-up guys, but they've both started and they can both pitch a couple innings. If you can't use them in that slot in the fifth inning, who are you going to use? Middle relievers aren't set-up guys and they aren't closers because they aren't good enough. Why is it OK to bring them in with the game on the line just because it's the fifth inning? I felt hopeless watching this game tonight with Kuwata serving up batting practice to the Phillies as a 5-4 lead turned into a 10-5 loss before I could barely even register what was happening.

Of course it's not completely fair to blame Kuwata or Tracy for this loss. We can't forget Jose Castillo, who dropped an almost sure double play ball on Shane Youman's last pitch of the fifth inning. Two outs and a runner on third is a bit of a different situation in a 5-4 game than bases loaded, no outs. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a good glove guy on the team to man third base since Castillo can't hit anyways? Oh, we traded for Cesar Izturis?

Sweet merciful crap, this team is just a huge cluster$*%& of a mess right now. I'm having serious trouble even paying attention, let alone watching.