Monday, July 02, 2007

The DL and the All-Star Game

Might as well lump these two things together, right?

Zach Duke is going on the DL
retroactive to his last start in Florida and he's going to AGH today to get his arm checked out. He's hopeful, I'm not. Shane Youman will take his slot in the rotation. Sean Burnett will presumably mope about it. If the results of his test come online today, I'll make sure to post them.

Meanwhile, Freddy Sanchez is our all-star. I like Freddy and everything, but what a load of crap. I know he's been hot this year, but all he really does is hit singles right now. He's only sluggling .375 and he's only getting on at a .331 clip. That's not an all-star. Tom Gorzelanny made the "final vote" where he will be trounced by four players whose fans' care much more than the Pirates' fans do. Ian Snell was left off of everything completely. That will probably piss him off. At least I hope it does.

And if you needed proof that ballot-box stuffing happens, I give you Barry Bonds surprise all-star starter.

Oh, and a podcast should be coming this afternoon or tomorrow.