Monday, May 28, 2007

Let's have some fun

I'll admit it, I'm falling kind of into a rut here with the Pirates being the way that they are this year. Sure it was fun to watch them obliterate the Reds in a few games this weekend, but the fact remains that they ended the series with a shutout at the hands of Kyle Lohse. It's really hard to be interested in a team like that. So what to do? I think it's time to shake things up here at WHYGAVS. Not a huge shakeup, mind you, just kind of a change of pace to keep both myself and everyone else interested. I'll keep putting up gamethreads, writing recaps, talking about news, and maybe even doing the occasional liveblog, but I've got some ideas to spice things up a bit. I'm going to start some new (hopefully) regular features on the site to keep the fun alive. Some ideas I'm kicking around:

  • Where Have You Gone, [insert former Pirate here]- There are a lot of Pirates that have been through Pittsburgh since my Pirate memory begins at about age five (that's 1990 if you weren't sure). I'm not actually going to track them down, I'm just going to reminisce about them. Don't count on seeing Barry Bonds show up in this space though.
  • The Pittsburgh Pirate Promotional Review- The Pirates have given out a ton of shit in the past few years. I've gone to a ton of games in the past few years. Accordingly, I've accumulated a lot of shit from the Pirates. I'm going to take pictures of it and make snarky remarks about everything I can find that the Pirates have put their brand on. Expect lots of bobbleheads here.
  • A podcast- I'm still kind of tentative on this one, but I just got myself a sparkly new Mac and it comes all equipped with a microphone and podcasting software and everything. I have no faith in myself to talk for very long, but I've been told that I have both the perfect voice and face for radio, so I think I may try a week-in-review-podcast every Monday (or maybe Tuesday for this week since it's a holiday week if I'm feeling ambitious tomorrow or later tonight). We shall see.
  • The 1979 World Series recaps- I've always wondered what my blog would read like if I was writing about a good team. I also have the full 1979 World Series DVD collection. This is admittedly a giant project that I may work on all summer and may not see the light of day until the off-season, but it's going to happen eventually.
  • Also, we do need to have a WHYGAVS night at PNC Park. I will be a resident of Western PA until around August 1st, at which point I head to North Carolina to start grad school. WHYGAVS will continue, but the chance for a WHYGAVS night will be rather slim after then. Who's interested? What nights are good for everyone? Let's talk it out in the comments.
And tell me what you think of the proposed new blog features. Like them? Hate them? Have other ideas? Click the comment button and go to work.