Saturday, October 07, 2006

DS Day 4 recap

Being home tonight gave me a chance to sit around and watch some Friday night baseball, something I wouldn't normally do. The A's and Tigers continued with the making me look like an idiot theme that has been all over this first round.

A's 8 Twins 3- I think the Twins gave up on this series the moment Santana lost to Zito at home, a kind of "If we can't win with him on the mound at home, when CAN we win?" sort of thing. They just looked flat today, making three errors behind Radke in the field. Radke gave a valiant effort but it's not easy to pitch with a torn labrum and stress fracture in your shoulder. I'm still not sure the A's are good, but I'm happy for Macha and Kendall.

Tigers 6 Yankees 0- I don't think I'm the only person surprised by Kenny Roger's dominant performance tonight. He was like a surgeon with the strike zone tonight. I know that sounds like a bad cliche, but it was true tonight. He baffled the Yankees all night by changing speeds and throwing a great curve ball. Someone or something woke these Tigers up, maybe it was losing the division on the last day of the year. They're in the driver's seat now, especially with Jaret Wright taking the mound for the Yankees tomorrow. Still, the Yankees are no pushovers. I still kind of feel like it might be more likely for the Yanks to win two more than for the Tigers to take 3 of 5 total. We'll see.

Ex-Pirate update:
Jason Kendall went 1-for-5 with a K tonight, but put a nice phantom tag on Torii Hunter in the sixth that kept the A's up by 2 and may have sealed the deal. He only batted .214 in his first playoff series, but he'll get a chance to redeem himself in the ALCS.

Sean Casey had a big night going 2-for-4 with 2 RBIs, including the first one of the game and a double in the sixth that put the Tigers up 6-0 and sealed things. He even gets his picture in the little box in the corner as the Yahoo player of the game. It was a good night for The Mayor.