Sunday, June 11, 2006

Some Sunday links

Since we don't have baseball until four o'clock today, we'll start out Sunday afternoon with some links.

Dejan joins the "Vote for Jason" parade in the Sunday Pirates' Notebook. I generally absolutely despise attempts like this from the team and from local papers to get Pirates into the starting lineup, but as you've probably already guessed, judging by most posts from earlier this week, we've rarely had a case like Jason Bay on our hands. If this guy doesn't deserve to start in an All-Star game, no one does. If you haven't put 25 votes in from all your e-mail addresses for him... DO IT.

EDIT (Monday, 2 PM)- It's been brought to my attention that I need to clarify a post I made yesterday afternoon. On my link roundup post yesterday, I classified Dejan as being on the "Vote for Jason" parade, but really he was just chronicling the team's massive push to get him voted into the starting lineup. The columnist that wrote the "Vote for Jason" column was actually my buddy Smizik. I'm afraid my brain must've clouded over from agreeing with him and screwed things up. Anyways, I will do my best to improve my critical reading faculties in the future.

Then again, Charlie provides and interesting and differing perspective on the Bay All Star situation. As pointed out in his comments, it really sucks when supporting your favorite players means supporting the evil agenda of the ownership. This is why Pirate fans are so Irate.

In today's BCT Perrotto's got some good rumors, only one of which has to do with Craig Wilson. First off, apparently someone is interested in Salomon Torres. In fact, two someones are, the Braves and White Sox. Given the way Sal has performed this year and the solid chunk of cash owed him thanks to the stupid contract given to him by DL before the season, I can't figure out why he'd still be wearing a Bucco uniform. According to Johnny P, the White Sox have a ton of pitching talent in the upper levels of their farm system. DL must be panting in anticipation. Also, Perrotto notes what several have noted a while ago, that with Sheffield and Matsui out for considerable amounts of the time the Yankees need an outfielder, a bill which Craig Wilson fits. Still, he says St. Louie is the most likely target for Craig if we're willing to accept reliever Adam Wainwright for him. Because, you know, it's smart to trade a guy to a team you see 16 times a year for the only thing that you have a considerable amount of, relief pitching. Actually, that sounds a lot like something Littlefield would do.