Monday, June 19, 2006

Does Ed Eagle read WHYGAVS?

I had originally read Ed Eagle's account of Tracy's tossing Jack Wilson under the bus early this afternoon, before the awful travesty that was this afternoon's game and had a post all drawn up in my head before anger clouded it over. Thankfully, Bones dropped me a reminder in this comments thread. You'll recall that last night (early this morning actually) I accused Tracy of throwing Jack Wilson under the bus because, well, he did. In the above linked column from this afternoon, Eagle has this to say:

As Tracy sees it, pointing out that certain plays could have or should have been made during the course of games does not constitute throwing his players under the bus. He's merely pointing out the difference between plays that winning teams make and those that losing teams do not.
Now, it's a pretty common phrase and it's exactly what Tracy did to Wilson yesterday so it's entirely likely that we're looking at a coincidence. Still, I can't help but imagine a conversation like this taking place:
Ed Eagle: Jim, you know some of the bloggers are creating some internet buzz saying you threw Jack Wilson under the bus yesterday.
Jim Tracy: What buzz?
Ed Eagle:
The internet buzz.
Jim Tracy: What the f&$# is the internet? What in God's name is a blogger? Do you think I'm going to sit here and let you talk about those stupid pimply ass nerds who let their computers think for them and use their so called "statistics" and "reason" to make up their opinions about my job? Don't you know they've never played baseball before so their opinion doesn't count? I criticized the play that Jack Wilson failed to make, not Jack Wilson himself. There's a difference. I wasn't wrong, they're wrong for misunderstanding me and it's not my fault, it's the fault of all you stupid writers who couldn't get across my brilliant point correctly.
Ed Eagle: Yeah, there's a difference alright, just like the one in melodies of "Ice, Ice, Baby" and "Under Pressure." I've wanted to say this for a long time, so get ready for it Jim. You are an idiot. Do you even listen to youself talk? You contradict yourself twice a sentence. Nothing you say makes sense at all. You're just lucky that your grasp on the english language is so poor and your self image is so inflated that no one follows anything you say after, "All I'm trying to do here is..." or "Well, I think..." or "Well, if you'd played the game, you'd understand where I'm coming from on that one..."
Jim Tracy: Have you ever played Major League Baseball before, Ed?
Ed Eagle: Well, I played in high school...
Jim Tracy: Well, I've played major league baseball, and I've managed a division winner, too. Everyone in real baseball knows that high school doesn't count. Why am I listening to you talk? You haven't played Major League Baseball before. You can't tell a pitcher's mound from your asshole until you've actually stepped foot on a big leauge field. Everyone knows that.
Ed Eagle (muttering): Oh, I know an asshole when I see one.
Jim Tracy: What? Go back to your stupid interweb and fancy computers and let me and the other real baseball men work.
Ed Eagle: I hate my job.
Maybe we shouldn't be so hard on Ed Eagle. Also, I should probably stop creating fictitious converstaions in my head between Ed Eagle and Jim Tracy.