Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Pirates 8 Reds 3

They kicked off a little late last night, but the Bucs did manage to keep the slumping Reds slumping thanks mostly to Paul Maholm's very strong start and Jeromy Burnitz via the "Blind Squirrell/Nut" corollary. There is, of course, a reason that most of the sane world wanted Craig Wilson batting behind Jason Bay, and the reason is that if you don't have many good hitters, it's helpful to bat your best hitters all consecutively. Having Burnitz filling that gap with actual hits theoretically produces the same result. My dad tells me I should be happy if Burnitz starts hitting (once again, we need more evidence to prove this goes beyond the blind squirrell/nut thing) because we'll actually be able to trade him, but I'm skeptical about DL's ability to do that. I'm still hoping that Jeromy Burntiz will be DL's Derek Bell.

UPDATE (10:54 PM)- As pointed out by Red Hot Mama in the comments, we actually scored 9 runs in this one. I really shouldn't take runs away from us like that, we don't score many as it is.