Sunday, April 16, 2006

Cubs 7 Pirates 3

The whole first inning today I was thinking that Snell was throwing well, but seemed to be way to preoccupied with Pierre on the basepaths. That seemed to lead to Ramirez's run scoring single. His anger at giving up that single seemed to lead directly to Todd Walker's two run homer. Snell really settled down after that and breezed through innings 2-5 like he knew what he was doing. Of course, Glendon Rusch was shutting us down, but Snell seemed to look good. I hopped in the car to drive to Murrysville (from home, not from Duquesne, so it was a bit of a longer drive) and put the game on. When Snell came out to start the sixth, I thought to myself that even with the bullpen being as depleted it is, it might be a good place to pull Snell, though that was just a hunch. After Pierre and Bynum got on, I had a bad feeling, which was only multiplied by the fact that Derek Lee was at the plate. Let's just say that two batters later I was fuming to my brother and his girlfriend about how Matt Capps needed to be in AAA and the iPod was on, because it was 7-0. We tuned back in to hear that Thor had smited another mortal ball with the mighty Mjolnir, but it wasn't going to be enough. I'm trying to stay positive due to the extreme earliness of the season right now, but 4-10 just looks ugly to me. I suppose we can take solace in the fact that Snell pitched four really good innings today, but they're kind of meaningless when the other 1+ involve 6 runs.