Sunday, February 12, 2006

More PG stuff

Here's a place where I actually agree with Jim Tracy, it's pointless for the manager to set 82 wins as a goal for the team, I think that's something that's really only meaningful to the fans. Plus, as stupid as it sounds, the manager really shouldn't publicly set his sight for the team that low, even if they are the Pirates.

Also today, Dejan lists his top 10 questions coming into Spring Training. Some quick thoughts on those:

  • Please keep Jack Wilson out of the 2-hole. He just isn't suited to bat there. Randa would work out much better there, I think.
  • All this crap about some kind of competition between Cota and Doumit is giving me a headache. Doumit's a much better hitter and more than adequate behind the plate. Giving Cota a majority of the starts behind the plate would be a clear indication that the philosophy of the new coaching staff is seriously flawed.
  • If Terry Adams, Giovanni Carrerra, or Brandon Duckworth get a spot in the bullpen I'm going to be sick to my stomach.
  • I don't know if I've ever seen a less inspiring competition for the 5th starter than one that involves Victor Santos and Ryan Voglesong.
  • The pitching is absolutely the most important thing on this team. If Wells and Perez can turn things around, they will absolutely help cover some of the stupid things Littlefield did this offseason.