Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Mario


Hockey isn't baseball, but it's impossible to be a Pittsburgh sports fan without having #66 impact your life in one way or another. People may debate whether another baseball player should ever wear #21 again, but I can almost guarantee you no hockey player will ever put on 66 again. Everyone has their favorite Mario story, I'm no different. I still remember the last goal he scored of his first career on Garth Snow at home in the playoffs against Philly like it was yesterday, nor will I ever forget the absolute chills I got when he came back on a cold December night 3 years later and scored the first goal of that amazing comeback and we all got to hear "THE PITTSBURGH GOAL, SCORED BY NUMBER SIXTY-SIX, MARIOOOO LEMEIUUUUUUUUUUUUX" again. Three years off and he still had it. Sure, he probably should've hung his skates back up after that first amazing comeback year. Then again, if anyone earned the right to hang around a little too long, it was Mario. Thanks for everything Mario.

And if you're worried, I promise this is the only hockey post you'll ever see on this baseball blog. It's just that some people transcend convention.