Tuesday, October 11, 2005

LCS Previews

I do have thoughts on Jim Tracy, but I need some time before I can organize them and get them posted. That means it's time for the next best thing... FILLER! At least it's on relevant material, the LCS's start today and the Yankees and Red Sox are nowhere to be seen. And what the hell, I was 4-for-4 on my Division Series Predictions (I actually even picked all the final series counts right except for the White Sox sweep so I'm either really good or really lucky, I vote lucky), so lets keep this thing going.

NLCS
In the last 20 years (since the LCS went to 7 games) there's only been three LCS rematches (in consecutive years). One rematch was Yankees and Mariners in 2000-2001. The Yankees were better, everyone knew it, they won both times, yadda yadda yadda. The other two were the Pirates and Braves in the early 90s and the Yankees and Red Sox in the last two years. Both first series had epic first matchups, going 7 games and featuring memorable performances. Both second series' blew the first ones out of the water, with the Braves (this part deleted for the collective mental health of myself and my readership) and then the Red Sox becoming the first team to ever come back from a 3-0 deficit to win a series. One epic rematch featured a repeat winner, one flipped. Well, last year the Astros and Cards played 7 great games that no one will particularly remember because of what happened in the ALCS. That means that if those are two series are indicators (and they probably aren't, but go with me here) we're in for one for the ages. I'm going with the Astros in 7, winning it in a very memorable fashion for one reason, guys named Pettite, Oswalt, and Clemens will make 6 starts in a seven game series and the Cardinals will have to win three of them. Last year's Cardinals could do it. This year's Abe Nunez Cardinals won't be able to pull it off.

ALCS
I don't have as many opinions on this one because I didn't watch the White Sox and Angels all year. What I do know is this, the White Sox were impressive in the first round and Bartolo Colon's back scares me. I also know that I spent all year disparaging the White Sox and their post-season chances, and now I'm not so sure I want to keep doing that, and here's why. This year's White Sox couldn't hold a candle to a pure OPS machine team like the Red Sox or even the Cardinals of last year. I didn't think they could handle a series with either the Red Sox or Yanks this year on a hot streak. They drew a cold BoSox team and now they don't have to worry about the Yankees. Now they draw the small-ball Angels, a team they do match up favorably with. Add in some Mike Scoscia neurotics (Juan Rivera has been DH'ing all playoffs while the inferior Garrett Anderson plays left field) a bad back on their ace, and having to play three games in three cities in three days to open this series, and I think the White Sox pull this one out in six. Plus Ozzie will get really really really excited and Cleveland fans will get really really really mad and that will be fun to watch.