Friday, September 23, 2005

Put this guy in the pile with Kent Tekulve

Dale Svuem's name is popping up as a possible candidate to manage next year. I don't really like that idea very much. He's currently the Boston Red Sox third base coach, and he's horrible at it. I don't know how many people read the Sports Guy on ESPN's Page 2 on a regular basis, but Svuem is possibly the single most vilified member of the Red Sox at the moment. My friend from Boston and I often argue over who's worse, John Russell or Svuem. Last year he sent David Ortiz from second base on a line drive single to left field. His reasoning? A rookie was at the plate and he "wanted to get the kid an RBI." He got someone else thrown out at the plate this year against Tampa (I think Ortiz again). His reason for that one? "I didn't know Rocco Baldelli had a good arm," (if I knew where the articles where these quotes came from were I'd link to them but I can't find them at the moment so you're just gonna have to go on my word here). So how can you be a third base coach and NOT know Rocco Baldelli has a good arm? And how can you expect a guy that handle the homework that coaching third base brings about to be a good major league manager?

UPDATE (3:59 PM)- Today the Sports Guys Daily Links include:

Dale Sveum is being considered for the Pirates' managerial spot (more importantly, I think this set the record for Most Consecutive Emails I Received Regarding a Link). Reminds me of the "Seinfeld" episode where Elaine keeps promoting an awful employee (army fatigues guy) rather than awkwardly fire him, ultimately leading to the rest of the employees angrily quitting. In other words, next season might have to be played with scab third-base coaches.
I'm pretty sure this is how everyone in Boston feels about this.