Tuesday, September 27, 2005

I see the potential to disagree

OK, so I think that last post needed to be a little clearer because I don't want to give people the wrong impression about certain things here. Let me start off by saying that above everything else, I AM ALL FOR BUYING OUT JASON BAY'S ARBITRATION ELIGIBLE YEARS. There's really no choice here, it's something we have to do. What makes me nervous is the talk about extending him beyond that RIGHT NOW. There doesn't really need to be any hurry to do this. Anything past the arbitration years is a long time, especially for a guy that had an injury history before we traded for him. All I'm trying to say is that we can commit to him know, let him know he's our guy but that as a small-market team we can't talk about more than four years in the future for now. If he wants to come back in 2 years and talk again about another extension, we're all ears, but for right now we can only focus on the arbitration years.

That's all I'm trying to say. I don't want to be misunderstood as saying "we shouldn't sign Bay at all" or anything like that because I think it's IMPERATIVE that we ink him to the next four years. I'm just not sure that now is the time, from a business perspective, to be looking beyond that.