Friday, July 22, 2005

Dazed and Confused

As most of us could probably guess, Bobby Hill is a bit mystified by his demotion.

I can't do much more. I thought I did my job very well... This was tough.
Dave Littlefield attempts to explain:
When asked to explain Hill's demotion, general manager Dave Littlefield spoke of the Pirates' depth at second and third base, not of Hill's production. More than anything, Eldred's recent production demanded notice.
Oh of course, our depth at second and third base. You know, our one true second baseman, our transplanted 2B/SS that plays at third, and a utility guy that shouldn't find himself anywhere near third base, yet who often does. Don't get me wrong, I don't really think Hill should start over any of those guys. Depth, however, is not the word I would use to describe our situation at second base and shortstop. And it's not how I'd describe our bench anymore either, now that our best pinch-hitter is in AAA, while Tike Redman takes over as our best left-handed pinch hitter. Don't forget we have that Restovich guy, too. I guess Ward might come off then bench, but I'll believe Eldred will get a majority of the playing time at first base when I actually see it.