Saturday, May 21, 2005

Pirates 9 Rockies 4

OK, it's true. I may have overreacted a bit to the losses by the Cubs, but lets face it, losing leads in the 9th inning to a team you should beat in games you should win sucks. Of course a good drubbing of a team like the Rockies brings things back into perspective. I suppose I should always remember a quote my dad always credited to Joe Paterno: "You're never as good as you think you are on your best day and you're never as bad as you think you are on your worst." Tonight, despite the fact that we were playing the Rockies, had some big positives. Jack Wilson now has six hits in his last 6 games (even with the DP to end the game against the Cubs). He's now scraping the Mendoza line at an even .200. Even my buddy Tike Redman went 4-for-4 tonight, putting him at .208. That means we can actually field a lineup with an entire team over .200 and it's only May 21st!!! David Ross better be careful though, he's slipping. Lawton broke out of his own slump with a 2-for-2, one giant home run, three RBI 7th inning. I'm not sure how much of this to attribute to BK Kim, but hey, we're Pirates fans, we take what we can get. A win over anybody is just what the doctor ordered after those games against the Cubs, especially when launching a 20 games in 20 days voyage that includes series against the Cards, Braves, Marlins, and Orioles. Tomorrow's game is huge for one reason, Oliver Perez. They say they've pinpointed what was wrong with his mechanics and causing shoulder pain. They say he should be better. I'm skeptical, but I've been wrong before and I wouldn't mind being wrong again.

20 games in 20 days record: 1-0
I'm including the counter only because I think this stretch may make or break our chances at .500 this year. Let's see how it goes.