Thursday, April 28, 2005

Coming this weekend: Omar vs. Jose part deux

Let's face it, most Pirates fans are already disappointed about this upcoming weekend series. Barry Bonds won't be playing for the Giants and the weather is supposed to be bad. Without Barry the Giants are pretty much just a bunch of guys that should be using walkers to get around managed by a guy that bears a pretty uncanny resemblence to Yoda. I've never seen them in the same room, that's all I'm saying. There is one thing to look forward to, however. Jose Mesa vs. Omar Vizquel. To give a little backstory, in Game 7 of the 1997 World Series (Vizquel and Mesa were teammates on the Indians then) Mesa blew a one run lead in the ninth, allowing the Marlins to tie the game and eventually win the series in the 11th inning, blowing the best chance the Indians juggernaut of the 90s had at a championship. When Vizquel wrote an autobiography about two years back, he claimed that Mesa wasn't focused on the game and it was his fault the Indians lost. Mesa was not pleased. When Mesa (then with the Phillies) played Vizquel's Indians in interleague play in about 2000, Jose gave us this gem:

"I will not forgive him. Even my little boy told me to get him. If I face him 10 more times, I'll hit him 10 times. I want to kill him."

Now I don't have the numbers on this, but I do believe that makes Joey Table the only current MLB player to threaten the life of another player. Only the Pirates will sign a guy after he's threatened someone's life. Mesa claims in the same article to have softened his feelings about Vizquel, but honestly, does Jose Mesa look like a guy that forgives very easily? We could see some thunder this weekend and I'm not talking about the weather...