Sunday, September 28, 2008

The last day of the season

I'm putting this game thread up early because there are a bunch of ex-Buccos involved in the pennant race today. Oliver Perez pitches against the Marlins today as the Mets need to win to ensure at least a tie-breaker against the Brewers tomorrow. Brian Bullington pitches for the Indians against the White Sox today as the White Sox need to win to ensure that they play their make-up game on Monday against the Tigers, with a win there causing a tie-breaker against the Twins on Tuesday (got that?). Meanwhile Jason Kendall, Dale Sveum, and Salomon Torres need a win against the Cubs for the same reason Ollie and the Mets need one over the Marlins. If the Twins win against the Royals today, the White Sox need to win to get that makeup tomorrow. If they lose, the White Sox can win today and tomorrow without ever having to play the team that swept them earlier this week. So it's going to be a great day for baseball.

Also, the Pirates and Padres wrap up their seasons at 4 with Ross Ohlendorf and Cha Seung Baek going at it on the mound. I was going to liveblog it for posterity, but that's much less fun when no one can watch back home and I have a take home test that's taking up much of my time this weekend. I'll still try to watch once the playoff relevant games have wrapped up, but mostly because I feel like I owe it to the team in some perverse way. As if I owe them anything.