Sunday, June 22, 2008

Snell's elbow to be examined

If you had "Ian Snell" in the "First Pirate pitcher to get injured this year" pool, you might be in luck. It appears that Snell suffered from some elbow pain in today's debacle and is going to have it looked at at AGH sometime tomorrow. The team seems to be indicating it's not serious, but I'll withhold judgment until we see some results from the test. The one thing we can say for sure is that reports of Snell lacking his trademark "fire" are probably a bit off base. To say he didn't respond well to the booing he received yesterday would be an understatement:

"You've got to show your team you want to be there," Snell said. "It doesn't matter if you're sore or not. I wanted to show my team that I wanted to be out there. Obviously, I didn't have it, and I was still trying to be out there."

He raised his voice slightly.

"I never give up. I don't care if people boo me, tell me I [stink], whatever. You're not going to take my manhood from me or my competitiveness from me. Nobody will ever do that! Ever! Until the day I die, then you take it from me."

Everyone clear on that?