Thursday, June 05, 2008

More draft picks

Apparently, the draft continues beyond Pedro Alvarez. Some more picks by the Bucs:

2nd round- Tanner Scheppers, RHP, Fresno State. If you're watching the Bucs tonight, Greg Brown practically has his O-face on talking about how lucky the Pirates were the Scheppers fell to them in the second round. This is because Greg Brown doesn't do his homework. Scheppers has either a stress fracture in his shoulder (which seems unlikely because I don't think that's even a real injury), or some kind of impingement and maybe TEARING IN HIS LABRUM (Insider link). If he's healthy (huge IF), he's an absolute steal in the second round as he was supposed to be one of the top college pitchers in the draft. I'm wary of this pick but Baseball America's John Manuel seems to like it. Wait, wary isn't the right word. I'll be shocked if he ever pitches for us. The more I think about this, the more it seems like an awful pick to me.

3rd round- Jordy Mercer, SS, Oklahoma Stat. I can't dig up a lot on him right now, but he's apparently the top baseball prospect in Oklahoma and had a very nice senior year at the plate.

4th round- Chase D'Arnaud, SS, Pepperdine. Two shortstops in a row? Judging by his stats (you have to download the PDF), he seems like a similar prospect to Mercer. Clearly the Pirates are not happy with middle infield depth in the organization. Brian Bixler, consider yourself on notice

5th round- Justin Wilson, LHP, Fresno State. Apparently the Bucs like the Fresno State rotation. There's not a lot of information out there about him, but I did find this video of him warming up on YouTube. Seems like he has a live arm with control problems, though I can't find full 2008 stats anywhre.

Further analysis: Do you notice anything funny here? Yeah, not one high school kid. Huntington is looking to restock the cupboard and fast. I don't really get these picks though. Two shortstops? A pitching with a potential labrum problem? I'll grant that Scheppers is an awesome pick if he's healthy, but it really doesn't seem like he's healthy. And Mercer and D'Arnaud seem like solid picks, but why pick both of them? Still, I'm no expert on this stuff so I'm going to keep digging and I'll share with you what I find.