Saturday, June 07, 2008

Game 61: D'Backs 3 Pirates 1

The Pirates lost to Brandon Webb last night. In of itself, that's not actually very interesting because Webb is so very good. Things didn't get really interesting until the top of the second inning when I saw there was a comment and looked at it. The comment was from Brian at Raise the Jolly Roger and it pointed out that in my 2008 Flash Forward, I had predicted Brandon Webb to no hit the Pirates on June 6th. By some rather impressive fluke of chance, I had managed to predict that Webb would pitch against us on June 6th (I didn't sit down and map out rotations for that post at all). Then I looked at the box score. "Hmm," I thought to myself, "We didn't have a hit in the first.

2nd inning- We still don't have a hit. This is mildly weird.

3rd inning- You don't think ...

4th inning- OK, I'm getting genuinely freaked out here. Nostradamus apparently has nothing on me.

5th inning- Holy freaking cr-- oh, Bautista got a hit. Actually, that's probably a good thing.

As it turned out, there was one side story worth following as much as me almost becoming an urban legend. Ian Snell struck out nine batters in his five innings, which is quite impressive given all of the problems he's had this year. It took him 107 pitches to get through those five innings and he did give up three walks, five hits, and take the loss, but remember, we're just looking for baby steps here. I think we can count this as one.