Thursday, June 05, 2008

Draft thread

I'm going to be at work all day, but I'm going to put this post up for draft discussion. As per today's PG:

When the Pirates' turn comes in Major League Baseball's draft this afternoon, according to multiple sources, they plan to use their No. 2 overall choice to take Vanderbilt University third baseman Pedro Alvarez.

The path appears clear: The Tampa Bay Rays, the team picking first, have let it be known through the sport's circles that they will pass on Alvarez, preferring either Georgia high school shortstop Tim Beckham or Florida State University catcher Buster Posey.

As pointed out in Charlie's well-pointed criticism of my draft post from yesterday, sometimes I need to simplify myself. If we pick Alvarez, I think it's a good pick because I think he's the best player in the draft.

Anyways, feel free to discuss the draft in the comments. I'd be especially gracious if anyone wants to post some knowledge about guys the Bucs pick in later rounds because my draft prospect knowledge is woefully lacking this year.

UPDATE: FanHouse live chat, which I'll be hopping in and out of, can be found here.

1st Round: The Pirates take Pedro Alvarez. I've said it in a bunch of places, but I really like this pick. I think without his injury, which shouldn't affect him long term, he'd almost certainly be viewed as the top pick in this draft. Let the adventure of signing him begin.

FanHouse post is here.