Friday, May 16, 2008

Game 42: Cubs 7 Pirates 4

It's not often that I'm going to sit back and tell you that one player won or lost a game for the Pirates. There's so many factors in baseball that affect the outcome of each game that it's almost always impossible to pin a win or loss on one player and one player alone. Still, doesn't it feel like today's loss belongs on Tom Gorzelanny's shoulders? He gave up three homers and six runs to the first ten batters he faced today, putting the Pirates in a 6-0 hole that they were never going to dig out of. I mean, they tried with three runs in the seventh including the ever so rare Dougie Bombs bomb, but it was too little too late. I didn't get to see the game today, but I'm guessing the first two innings were right out of the Matt Morris playbook. I even called Soriano's second homer without being able to see the first. There's either something seriously wrong with him or the entire new coaching staff should be fired for screwing him up.