Monday, April 07, 2008

The home opener

Today is probably one of the saddest days since I've moved to Chapel Hill. Except for the odd year here or there, I've been to just about every home opener since I think 1995, which was the year of the famous inside the park bunt home run for the Expos that resulted in the field being pelted with miniature flags. This year I'll be in lab following along on GameCast. Boo.

Today the Cubbies roll into town against Tom Gorzelanny. I'm interested to see who starts at catcher, as lefty Ted Lily is on the mound for the Cubbies. Ryan Doumit is killing the ball and managers often like treat the home opener as the "true" opening day, since it's the first game in front of the home fans. If Doumit's starting tomorrow, this team is pretty serious about making Doumit the #1 catcher this year.

I can tell from the comments that lots of WHYGAVS readers will be at the game, but if you're stuck at work like me, feel free to talk it up in the thread here. I know I probably will be.

Pirates/Cubs, Gorzo/Lily, Russell/Sweet Lou. Donnie Iris. 1:35. This video will rock your world.