Monday, March 17, 2008

Pearce and others go down

This has been hashed and rehashed here, so I'm not going to drag it out, but Steve Pearce and a bunch of other people that I care less about were all sent to minor-league camp today. In order of my general preference, here's how I would've liked to see the Pearce situation play itself out:

  1. Pearce stays with the Pirates, mashes, replaces Thor in the WHYGAVS mythology.
  2. Pearce goes to the minors, mashes, and forces Huntington's hand on Xavier Nady (unless he hits 10 homers in April, we're not getting anything for him).
  3. Pearce sits on the bench in Pittsburgh and pinch hits, never getting a chance to be a regular until he's 27 or so.
That being said, if Pearce doesn't get around 300 plate appearances in Pittsburgh this year, I'm still going to be fairly upset.