Saturday, March 01, 2008

A long road for Jeff Andrews

I am, apparently, one of the only people in the world that doesn't feel like Zach Duke's troubles are rooted in Jim Colborn (which is it's own post, or perhaps an old one, if you feel like combing the archives). Accordingly, I think Jeff Andrews is pretty screwed if people are going to measure his success by how he does working with the ex-phenom. As usual, I combed the box-score after today's spring game to see what happened and if anything jumped out at me. I came up with this:

HR: Griffey (1, 1st inning off Duke, 1 on, 1 out), Dunn (1, 1st inning off Duke, 0 on, 2 out)

Two homers in his first inning of the spring? Yikes. Duke is seriously one of the most hittable pitchers I can remember and I don't know if there's anything Andrews can do to fix it. He just gets crushed all the time. I honestly don't see how a change in mechanics is going to significantly improve anything at this point.