Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Frank Coonelly's plan

I'll admit, I've been enjoying the "Building Blocks" series in the PG, if only to get some kind of handle on the people that are now running the baseball team that's managed to consume so much of my life. Today's article about Coonelly is no different. Still, something about these stories hasn't been sitting right with me.

I think the problem with them is that the more I read, the more I get the feeling that the front office is just feeding the public what they want to hear. I'll be perfectly honest, I don't buy the "We have to fix the way people think and change this culture of losing" bullshit that Coonelly seems to be so fond of. The way to change a culture of losing is to win. Believing in yourself won't do it, nor will scrapping an ugly mascot and changing a slogan. The front office, lead by Coonelly, has to prove to everyone involved that they're not a continuation of the old group and that they know how to put a winning baseball team on the field. No words can convince me, or any Pirate fan, that things are definitely going to be different until we all see that they've changed. The things that have happened so far, firing Littlefield, building in the Dominican, etc., are all steps in the right direction, but they're only steps. The fact that Coonelly spends so much time talking about doing this worries me, because he's got work to do.