Monday, February 11, 2008

The 2008 Season Preview Preview

For some reason, writing a preview for this season seems like a more daunting task than it ever has in the past. I'm not exactly certain if it's because of the sudden physical distance between me and the Pirates, though that probably doesn't have a lot to do with it during this age of the internet and cable TV packages and the like. The truth is, previewing 2008 seems like a daunting task because essentially, 2007 was like one long preview for this season. We already have a full year's worth of evidence on how these guys are going to pay, so previewing them feels a bit redundant.

Lucky for you guys, being redundant has never stopped me in the past. The way I'm going to break this down is going to be pretty simple. I'm going to look at each of the players that are going to play a key role on the Pirates in 2008 and ask a simple question about them. They'll be questions like, "What happened to Jason Bay in 2007 and what does that mean for 2008?" and "Can Jack Wilson ever hit well for two consecutive months?" I'll probably write a ton for some players and a paragraph or two for other players. I suppose it will all depend on the player, their role on the team, and the depth of the question. I will admit this will be a slow process because I'm not going to half-ass these posts and I'm a pretty busy guy, so bear with me if it seems like I'm never going to finish them because I eventually will, I promise. The hard part is going to be coming up with questions for each player, and so I'm going to solicit you guys for help on that part. If there's a question about a specific player that you have for the coming season along the lines of the examples I used above, leave it in the comments and I'll consider it. I won't make any promises to use any suggestions since I've got a bunch of these in mind already, but I will certainly read and at least think about whatever you guys come up with. If we get the ball rolling on this one right now, I can probably get the majority of the team done by the time the season starts.