Tuesday, January 15, 2008

THE PIRATES HIRED SID BREAM! OH MY GOD THE PIRATES HIRED SID BREAM!

I briefly touched on this in the post below, but it deserves its own crazy, ranting indignant post.

The Pirates hired Sid Bream to coach with the State College Spikes. Sid Bream. The man that is most often associated with the horrific loss that kicked off this 15 years of misery is now working for the Pirates organization. Suddenly, all I can see is Jack and Ben from LOST skipping around their island, holding hands and whistling, "Two Of Us" by the Beatles. I mean, I understand that Sid Bream is a wonderful guy. Everyone says it and I'm sure it's true. And realistically, there are a million things to blame more than Sid Bream for the events of October 14th, 1992 (Francisco Cabrera, Jose Lind, Stan Belinda, Jim Leyland, and Barry Bonds all clock in ahead of Sid on my list). But SOMEONE in the Pirates front office has to know that the picture of Bream lying on home plate with his arms up in celebration, being strangle-hugged by an unidentified Brave results in Pavlovian dry-heaving by Pirate fans.

Maybe it's a good sign that the front office is this clueless as to what the fans want. I more than once accused Dave Littlefield and company of pandering to the fans with moves like the Sean Casey trade. Maybe it was the only way we could get the ridiculously overqualified Brian Brad Fischer to manage our New York-Penn League team. Still, I don't imagine Franco Harris ever getting a job with the Raiders or John Elway ever getting a job in Cleveland. Quite often I think to myself that the Pirates can't possible find new ways to torture me. Every single time, I'm proven wrong.