Monday, January 21, 2008

Links and stuff

I'll have more substantial stuff this evening. But until then:

The Hardball Times ranks the ten best World Series Game 7s. The Bucs are on the list twice.

I've been doing a lot of thumbing through the Bill James Historical Abstract lately, which leads me to ask this: why do only the most hardcore Pirate fans know who Arky Vaughn is?

Figures, I gradute from Duquesne right when the Dukes get good at basketball, then the first decent UNC game I get tickets to is their first loss of the year, which somehow sends the student section into hysterics. Yeah, the Heels are 18-1. The Pirates may not get win #18 until mid-May. Is it baseball season yet?
Here's an ominous sign: Chris Carpenter is throwing again. I forgot how good that guy was until I read his name just now.

If Troy Tulowitzki were a Pirate, a seven-year deal after his rookie season would mean nothing but pain and suffering for all parties involved. Lucky for him, he's not a Pirate.