Sunday, January 06, 2008

I'm really not going to be a Jeff Andrews fan, am I?

Hi, my name is Jeff Andrews, and I'd like to make the focus of my off-season pitching workouts something that's completely inane and based on small sample sizes.

I understand this is mostly rhetoric from Andrews and it's stuff he's got to say because it's stuff every new coaching staff does, but it still drives me insane. But just to point out why, let's look at one thing. Last year, as a team, the Pirates were 68-94. That's a winning percentage of .420. The five starters mentioned in the article (Gorzelanny, Snell, Maholm, Morris, and Duke) had a record of 39-49, a winning percentage of .443. In games after losses, they went 19-25, or .432. And yet, somehow, how the starters pitch after a loss is a more pressing problem than how the starters pitch in general.