Friday, December 07, 2007

Bye bye, Sully

Word out of Milwaukee is that the Bucs have swapped Salomon Torres to Milwaukee for minor league relievers Marino Salas and Kevin Roberts. Color me... uninspired... by this trade. More relievers? Really? I mean, I get grabbing guys like Meek in the Rule 5 or off waivers, but trading for them? I can see Roberts has nice strikeout numbers and everything, but he was also a 23-year old in A ball. Salas is 26 and hasn't cracked the bigs yet, struggling last year in his only journey about AAA. I suppose something's better than nothing, but justifying trades with that kind of reasoning starts down a dangerous road. Then again, Torres really can't be worth much at his age after the season he had last year. At the very least, these two guys could have more value in another trade down the road than Torres might if he struggles at the start of this year.