Monday, November 19, 2007

Peace out, Cesar

So I missed this over the weekend, but the Pirates unsurprisingly declined Cesar Izturis's option for the 2008 season. Even if we had a deal with Jack Wilson set in stone, Cesar Izturis wouldn't be worth more than $5 million, so it's hard to quabble with this move. I know people are wondering if we'll try and bring him back cheaply if we do trade Wilson, but that's kind of unlikely in a world that David Eckstein is potentially worth $9 million. Oh, and plus he's terrible. I can't believe we actually traded someone for him. Damn you, Jim Tracy.

Meanwhile, the Pirates are expected to name John Russell's coaching staff this week. I know you're as excited as I am to see what kind of people will actually work for a guy that finished 30 games below .500 in AAA last year. Too harsh?