Friday, November 09, 2007

Fire up the WHYGAVS Jukebox

There's a fairly good chance that I'm going to be out of blogging range until Sunday afternoon. That means I can leave you with two things to do. The first is jump in on my favorite thread of all time, here. You'll know what to do when you get there. Next up is something you'll be familiar with if you've been around a while. It's time for me to crack open the WHYGAVS Jukebox. That's where I write out a list of Pirates, fire up iTunes, hit shuffle, and apply the songs as they come up on the list. Then it's up to you guys to figure out how they apply. The thread in the post doubles as an open thread to plot world domination as well or discuss free agency or semi-obscure movies, or whatever until I can get posting again. Today, let's welcome the new members of the front office with some choice selections:

Frank Coonelly: One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces- Ben Folds (the live version, not the Five version, if you're curious). This is perfect. Coonelly is the exact type of guy I imagine being tortured in high school for being a dweeb, only to lord it over his tormentors now.

Neal Huntington: Rock and Roll- The Velvet Underground. How to describe the first couple months of Doogie's GM tenure? It was alright. Appropos of nothing, seeing a Velvet Underground song immediately reminds me of this exchange from Almost Famous:

Lester Bangs: You like Lou Reed?
William Miller: The early stuff. In his new stuff he's just trying to be Bowie. He should just try to be himself.
Lester Bangs: Yeah, but if Bowie's doing Lou and Lou's doing Bowie, Lou's still doing Lou.
William Miller: If you like Lou.
Message to Neal: you don't have to be Mark Shapiro. You just have to be good. Not even as good as Lou Reed or David Bowie. Just good.

Greg Smith: I'm Not Down-The Clash. Is this a message to us from the deposed scouting director of the Tigers somehow speaking through my computer? Probably not. If I have 3,000 songs on my computer, I could probably find a way to relate 1,000 of them to Greg Smith in one way or another.

Kyle Stark: Snow (Hey Oh)- Red Hot Chili Peppers. Umm, honestly, I didn't like Stadium Arcadium nearly as much as By the Way or Californication (both of which I would've listened to until the grooves wore out if CDs had grooves). I do already like Kyle Stark more than Brian Graham, though that's just because I prefer things I know nothing about to things that I know suck (now there is a dangerous blanket statement).

Sadly the shuffle gods didn't spit out any Zappa or Dead Milkmen, which always prompt my favorite music discussions. On that note, I guess all I can say is have a great weekend while I'm Smokin' Banana Peels and trudgin' across the tundra (mile after mile) right down to the parish of St. Alfonzo for his famous pancake breakfast.