Since it looks pretty certain that tomorrow is going to be the day that Huntington is introduced as our GM, let's take a look at some pros and cons of the guy, at least from what I can tell thus far.
- If I were to pick an organization for the Pirates to model themselves after, it would probably be the Indians. I mean, you could pick the A's or the Twins or maybe even the Padres or D'Backs, but the Indians are certainly one of the top choices as far as I can see it. Besides Mark Shapiro, I'd assume the guy that's been there for 12 years knows how it's run.
- The Pirates interviewed some good people for this position and this is who Coonelly and Nutting picked. Neither of them is stupid.
- A huge chunk of Coonelly's past job dealt with dealing with GMs. If he doesn't know what makes a good GM, well, either he's stupid or no one does. Like I said, he's not stupid.
- I think his youth is a good thing. Maybe it's just that I'd rather see a 37-year old new face as our GM than, say, Ed Wade.
- Man, that demotion within the Indians organization this year from Assistant GM to Special Assistant to the GM/Advanced Scout sure is suspicious, isn't it?
- He really is an unknown and when his name came up, everyone everywhere seemed genuinely surprised. If he really is such a great candidate, why didn't anyone think of him before he got the job?
- The guys we passed over for the job, La Cava, Zduriencik, Bernarzard, Heyer, etc. seemed to be pretty good candidates and we know a lot more about them.
- Nutting and Coonelly aren't stupid, but what is their motivation here? To build a winning baseball team or to keep the pockets of ownership lined? Certainly, it's fair to question that at this point.
- Why was Huntington demoted? Maybe Shapiro wanted to give someone a better job to keep them in the organization and Huntington agreed to help him out. Maybe something a lot more ugly happened. We just don't know.
- What did our interest in Antonetti have to do with us ending up with Huntington? Was Coonelly's goal from day 1 to model his Pirates after the Indians? Did we ask about Antonetti and get referred to Huntington?