Sunday, September 09, 2007

Game 141: Cubs 5 Pirates 1

It's funny to me that in a game where the Pirates actually manage to walk eight times, they only get two hits and only score once. I'll be honest, the Pirates' actual games aren't terribly interesting to me at the moment. One hand, it's nice to be able to unambiguously cheer for them to win, but on the other hand there are some other things happening within the organization that are much, much more important towards the goal of seeing the Pirates have a winning record before I finish grad school.

Littlefield's firing has certainly reinvigorated me from a blogger's perspective. I know that my writing here was getting stale and boring because well, I was the one writing it. I'm happy Littlefield is gone, but this team could win their last 21 games or lose their last 21 games and I don't think I'd feel appreciably different about either outcome. I'm much more interested in the moves this team is making with an eye towards the future. For the past couple years, I've felt like the Pirates were the Nicole Ritchie of the MLB superhighway. That is to say that while most other teams were moving in one direction, the Pirates were drunk and high behind the wheel, driving in the wrong lane, and moving the wrong direction. I now feel like there is a distinct chance that that could change, and accordingly, I'm a bit more interested in that than I am in the games. I won't stop recapping because that's one of the things I really like about writing WHYGAVS, but I hope you'll forgive me if the recaps aren't terribly detailed.