Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Game 116: Mets 5 Pirates 4

I think the Pirates decided to take all of the things that madden me and lump them all into one baseball game, just to see what it would do to my mental health. Let's count:

  • El Duque struggled like mad with the strike zone, walking five batters in six innings. Still, we struck out eight times and only scored three runs off of him, one of which came on a solo homer. Way to make him pay. I would venture a guess that if Jason Bay faced El Duque a million times, he would strike out at least 9,999,990 times, with about ten weak grounders to third.
  • Ian Snell, 7 IP, 7 Ks, 0 BB, 8 H, 3 R. And the result? A no-decision.
  • I know that Marte has been good this year and Chacon has been decent. But damn I love that 1-2-3 eighth inning punch of Torres, Marte, and Chacon. Talk about three guys I have confidence in.
  • Mike DeFelice recorded only his second RBI since 2004 tonight. This technically isn't a pet peeve of mine, but I think it should be. His "slide" into third base tonight was amazing.
  • Let's see, did we outpitch the other team? Yep. Did they do anything masterful or inspiring to suggest they should've beaten us? Nope. Did we still find a way to lose? Of course.
Did I miss anything?